Last week I presented my Capstone project. Capstone is basically the
culmination of a my undergraduate career. Essentially it's a giant
research project in which I chose a topic (in my case it's in the human
service field), research it, and gather participants to survey in an
effort to prove my hypothesis. Then I run statistical analysis on my
findings, build a big presentation around my findings, and then present
it for judging. At my Capstone presentation each presenter had 3
judges. Judges were free to ask whatever questions that they deemed
necessary and it was my job to answer their questions to show that I
knew my topic front and back. It's a lot of work - but it's also the
last hurdle before graduation.
I remember shortly
before Kyle passed away (I'm talking merely a couple of weeks) we sat in
bed one night for nearly 2 hours just talking about my Capstone
project. I was stuck between two topics that I felt equally as strong
about. However, he was leaning more towards one than the other. He was
so invested in it and he seemed really, genuinely interested and
intrigued by it. We had one of the best conversations that night just
going over every possible scenario and theory for this research. I
remember his eyes lit up while he was talking to me about it. (For those curious, since I was stuck between topics, I went with the one he and I had spent so much time talking about: researching Internet search habits and health anxiety levels)
You
see, my major is in Community Counseling and my minor in Psychology. I
am very well-aware that there are many people who don't really take
that field seriously, and think that it's more or less a waste of time.
That in itself is something I've had to work through; I don't want for
people to think that my degree is any less important than, say, someone
who is majoring in business or education. This field is something that I
have felt strongly about for as long as I can remember. I have had
friends and family diagnosed with mental illnesses. I, myself,
struggled with undiagnosed postpartum depression after the birth of my
second baby which led to a battle with anxiety. I'm also an advocate for
ending the stigma that surrounds mental illness and hope to be able to
have a platform in which to try to make a difference in that area.
But,
that night when we sat there and just talked about this project - that
has stayed with me and became one of the driving forces in me deciding
to continue with school this semester and push forward with my Capstone
research. I can not begin to explain what it felt like to have him so
engaged in something that meant so much to me. I can't really put it
into words. So, often over the past 3 months (since this semester
began) I've had flashbacks to that conversation; seeing the excitement
in his eyes to see me so excited talking about it. And when I presented
my project to the judges last week - I saw his face in my head. That
same excited face. Even though Psychology may not have been something
that he was hugely into - I know that just seeing me complete my project
and to be able to defend it to the judges - he would have been
absolutely over-the-moon proud. That's just who he was - he loved
seeing those around him succeed and be happy. It made him genuinely
happy.
He was my biggest cheerleader with, well,
everything! But especially with my education. In 6 days I will be
walking across a stage to accept my Bachelor of Science degree...and my
biggest cheerleader won't be there to see it.
He
encouraged me to go back to school after my separation/divorce. When I
graduated with my Associates degree in 2012, he was the only person who
was able to come to my ceremony (he drove 3 hours to take me to dinner
and see my graduation and drove 3 more hours back home afterwards). At
the time of my Associates graduation we were engaged - and to be
married only a couple of days later! Once we were married and I moved to
Oklahoma and started in on my Bachelor's degree, it seemed as if I
would have issues every single semester with various administrative
departments here, he was the one who would keep me calm. He'd listen to
me vent about group projects, shared in my excitement with my first
internship opportunity, listened to me promise to never procrastinate on
another project ever - only to turn around and start a speech or a big
paper a mere days before it was due. Every time I took a test, I'd come
home and he'd say "how do you think you did?". I'd typically say
something like "eh, I'm not feeling so confident" and he'd always have
this smirk on his face and say "you said that last time and you got an
A, I'm betting you did great!" and if it ended up that I got a good
grade, there'd come that smirk again and he'd get so much pleasure in
saying "see? I told you so!". He made sure he was at my Psi Chi
induction even though he hadn't been feeling well. He'd hang out with
the kids so I could go to the library to study. He'd put kids to bed
without me even asking when he knew I had deadlines coming up. I
absolutely could not have completed my degree, accomplished this dream,
had it not been for him and his endless support. And so like so many
other occasions that we've already been forced to go through without
him, it is so bittersweet.
I am so excited to graduate - but there will absolutely be a huge void in that day.
And
only two days after I graduate, I am due with our fourth baby. I'm not
going to lie, I'm worried. I'm worried about how it's going to feel to
deliver our baby without him there.
I am so grateful
that Kyle knew we were having a baby, he knew it was a boy, and we had
already decided his name. Kyle had already been talking to my belly for
a few weeks before he passed away - even though he never got to feel
the baby move. In fact the first time that I felt baby move with my
hand on the outside of my belly was the day before Kyle passed away. He
was in the ICU and sedated - so he was never able to feel him. I'm not
sure if it happened this way on purpose or not. I like to think that as
Kyle was leaving this earth - part of his spirit was living on his baby
that I'm carrying. Ever since then - whenever I feel this baby move -
I'm reminded that I have this piece of Kyle in me. It has brought me so
much comfort. When we had Kyle's memorial service, I felt as if I
wanted to get up to speak. But I wasn't sure if I would be able to. I
spoke to the pastor beforehand. He said when he got up to pray, if I
felt as if I was able to speak I could come up during prayer. If he
finished with prayer and I wasn't up there, he would then assume that I
had decided to not speak. When the pastor started the opening prayer,
this baby within me started rolling and kicking like never before. I
felt like it was Kyle's way of putting his arms around me and
encouraging me to go speak. And so I did.
And so, my
mind has often wondered what it will be like when I deliver our baby -
and I no longer feel this movement within me. Yes, I will have our baby
here to hold and love on. But, there is an indescribable bond that
happens when a mother feels her unborn child within her - and I'm so
anxious about not having him in my womb anymore; not feeling this
connection with Kyle anymore.
I am about to close two
chapters in my life; two chapters that Kyle was so intertwined with.
There is definitely going to be a period of adjustment after this next
week is over.
But, then I see his sweet face in my
head, that smirk of his, and hear him saying "you said that last time,
then you passed with flying colors. So I'm betting you're going to do
great!"
No comments:
Post a Comment